When the Senior Round Dozen Club was organized in the summer of 1898, the greatest project the club adopted was the organization of the Lincoln County Library. The club began to seek the contribution of books by members and other interested persons for circulation. As the project grew and more interest in reading was shown, the Charter of Incorporation of the Lincoln County Library Association was registered in the office of the Secretary of State of Tennessee on April 24th, 1907. The particular purposes for which this charter was sought were: "The establishment and maintenance of a library for the education and improvement of its members, their literature, scientific and historical improvement and the advancement of the individual profit, and is for purely educational purposes."
The library was opened and operated by the Senior Round Dozen Club members where members were required to "subscribe" to a library card for a small fee. The library operated solely on $750 a year. In 1948, the library was reorganized to reflect the Dewey Decimal System. In 1957, the Lincoln County Library became one of the first libraries to be supported by federal funds. It was moved from the second floor of the Municipal Building to the First Federal Building. With this move came many changes, it became a demonstration library and a member of the Highland Rim Region with a full time librarian and assistant.
On September 23rd, 1957 the library was formally opened to the public with its first paid librarian and its first library board soon after in 1958. At the end of the year demonstration period, City and County funds were secured for operating the library. After a great amount of hard work and diligence from many community members and the regional librarian, in 1959 the name of the library was changed to the Fayetteville-Lincoln County Public Library.